Yields 15-20 shortbreads. Notes: Store in an airtight container for 1 week - 10 days.
- 100 g butter
- 60 g icing sugar
- 1/2 the grated zest of a small lime
- 1/2 the grated zest of a small lemon
- 175 g gluten free all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 1 half the juice of small lime
- 1 half the juice of small lemon
- 1 tbsp Cocobella Coconut Water
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (356ºF) and line a baking tray with parchment paper, set aside.
- Beat butter until soft, add icing sugar and zests and beat together until light and fluffy.
- Fold through flour and baking powder. Using your hands, gently bring the mixture into a soft dough. Do not overmix.
- Move to a floured board.
- Roll out to 1cm thick, using a medium sized scalloped round cookie cutter, cut into rounds and repeat with remaining scraps until all used up.
- Place shortbreads on prepared tray and set in refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the fridge and bake for 9-12 minutes or until pale and crisp. Allow shortbreads to cool on the tray for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Icing: In a mixing bowl, combine 1 cup of icing sugar, lime and lemon juice and coconut water. Mix well until smooth.
- Add the extra 1/4 cup of icing sugar until thick and smooth. Add more icing sugar for desired consistency.
- Spread icing on one half of each shortbread.
- Optional: sprinkle lime and lemon zest on the icing for extra punch!