LEMONGRASS TURKEY AND ROASTED SWEET POTATO SALAD
So THIS one of my go-to post-workout meals: whatever leftover protein I have in the fridge + leftover roasted sweet potatoes, throw it on a salad with avocado. Because usually when I come home from a lift/crossfit workout I’m ravenously hungry in a don’t-talk-to-me-or-I’ll-bite-your-face-off kind of way, so I’m all about getting food on the table/into my stomach as fast as possible. No time to wait for sweet potatoes to roast for like half an hour. SHEESH like who has time for that, right?
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 2 tbsp sliced lemongrass
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1-2 tbsp fresh chopped basil
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 piece sweet potatoes
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- additional spices
- Mixed greens or spinach for each person
- 1-2 avocados
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp fresh chopped onion
- Preheat your oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet.
- Toss the chopped sweet potatoes with the melted coconut oil, sea salt, and spices, if you’re using them.
- Spread them out evenly on your baking sheet. When the oven is hot, pop them in and set the timer to 30 minutes.
- For the turkey, get out your cast iron skillet. Heat up the olive oil in the pan over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add your turkey, garlic, and ginger, breaking up the turkey with a wooden spoon into small pieces. Continue stirring and breaking up the turkey with your spoon until it is browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes. In the last minute or so of cooking, add the salt and stir in the lemongrass and basil. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- When the sweet potatoes are tender (you can easily pierce them with a fork), pull them out of the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- To assemble the salads, top a plate/bowl full of lettuce with sweet potato wedges, turkey, avocado, and onion. Drizzle with olive oil and devour.