Paleo Lemon Poppy Seed Cake (Low carb, Nut-free)
From my blog www.kitchenwhimsyblog.wordpress.com I put a lil happiness in a bowl and got this. It's perfect. You can also use the batter to make muffins instead if you want! (just consider cutting the recipe in half and checking them at about 15 minutes of baking) A perfect pot-luck party option. Cause who doesn’t need another reason to party. Enjoy.
- 12 eggs (A lot, I know-- It's moist without tasting eggy!)
- 1 coconut flour
- 1/2 raw honey
- 1 baking powder
- 1 vanilla extract
- 1/4 lemon zest
- 8 lemon juice
- 1 melted coconut oil
- 1/4 poppy seeds
- 2 lemon juice
- 1/4 raw honey
- 1 softened palm shortening
- CAKE: Line 2 9in cake pans with parchment and/or oil well.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl and sift in the coconut flour, constantly mixing til smooth.
- Into the egg mixture, add in the melted coconut oil, honey, baking powder, vanilla, lemon zest, poppy seeds, and lemon juice until all thoroughly combined.
- Separate the batter between the two cake pans (Batter is pretty runny).
- Bake for 30-35 minutes (Check if done by inserting a knife/toothpick and ensuring it emerges clean)
- Let cool completely and remove from cake pans
- LEMON FROSTING: With an electric mixer, beat the palm shortening til smooth
- While continuing to mix, add the honey and lemon juice.
- ASSEMBLY: Place the bottom cake layer on a serving platter, coat thinly with frosting.
- Place the top layer of cake onto the lower, coat with remaining frosting.
- Decorate with lemon slices
- Serve and enjoy!