Miso Soup with Seaweed and Mushrooms
One of our favourite foods! Miso soup is nutritious and very easy to make. You can have it on it's own or as an addition to udon noodles. Oishi (delicious)!
- 1 piece Kombu seaweed
- 1 piece Wakame seaweed
- 4 dried shitake mushrooms
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger
- 8 leaves spinach
- 6 oz soft tofu
- 1-3 tbsp Shiro miso
- 3 cups water
- Soak Kombu, Wakame seaweed, and Shitake mushrooms in 3 cups of water in a saucepan for 30 minutes. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Strain out the kombu, Wakame and mushrooms saving the liquid.
- Slice Wakame and Kombu seaweed and return to stock.
- Cut stocks off mushrooms and discard or chop finely and slice mushroom caps in half. Place mushrooms back into saved liquid.
- Add spinach leaves and Simmer on medium heat until spinach leaves have wilted.
- Add miso. Do not boil miso as that kills extremely beneficial live cultures. Stir the miso thoroughly into the water, and then add this back to the pot. Miso is high in sodium, so adjust how much you add to taste.