Italian Style Meatloaf
This meatloaf was inspired and adapted by the family passed down recipe ;) Classic italian flavors, lean turkey, tomato sauce, and cheese make this a satisfying, healthy, and protein-packed dish! Give it a go & enjoy!
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1 egg
- 1 can tomato sauce + more for topping off meatloaf
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 lb beef
- 1/2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat a skillet with enough oil to cover bottom of pan over medium-low heat, add onion saute until tender. Add garlic, saute until fragrant. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a large bowl whisk together egg, 3/4 tomato sauce, tomato paste, and Worcestershire. Add ground meat, bread crumbs, salt and pepper, Parmesan cheese and sauteed onion and garlic. Combine with a fork.
- In a large, greased roasting pan spoon 3/4 marinara sauce on the bottom. Form the meat on top of sauce into a loaf. Spread the remaining sauce over top and sprinkle with mozzarella.
- Bake about 45 minutes or until no longer pink in the middle. Let set five minutes before serving. Additional parmesan cheese sprinkled on top is also a good idea!