Spiced Coconut Kale with Avocado
The key to making a proper kale salad taste good is to not cook the kale! You just need to give it some love and soften it with an acidic ingredient or dressing. In my view this side is perfect for any main dish! Eating this dish regularly alongside your main meals also brings a nutrition boost to any meal. Kale is one of the healthiest leaves on the planet and can really help to reduce your LDL cholesterol levels. It has also been explored extensively for its potential cancer preventing abilities. It is believed to reduce the risk of developing at least five different cancers (bladder, colon, breast, ovary and prostate). With over 45 different flavonoids contained within, with both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, kale is an absolute winner for your the health of your body. The addition of avocado and almonds to this recipe also ensures you are getting a good dose of good fat that is essential for many functions in the body. Getting an adequate amount of good fat through your foods can also help towards your weight loss goals. Both of these ingredients will also help to keep your cholesterol levels at an optimum level, and will also help to protect against heart disease! This is a really quick and easy one to make!
- A bunch of kale, torn into pieces and chunky stems removed
- 40 g coconut flakes
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- A large handful of almonds, toasted
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- First you have to do whisk the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Once it is combined, put the kale in a large serving bowl and pour half the dressing over the top. You can then use your hands to massage the dressing into the kale for a few minutes in order to soften it.
- Next, add the coconut flakes, avocado and toasted almonds and mix together well. Finally, pour in the rest of the dressing and serve. YUM!