Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad
This salad looks fantastic as a side dish to a main meal at a dinner party but can also make an indulgent meal for one! Not only does it look amazing but it will also do great things for your body due to the wealth of goodness found within! Brussels sprouts are cruciferous vegetables that contain a unique range of antioxidants. They are super low in calories at just 28 calories for half a cooked cup! Brussels sprouts are also full of fibre which makes them perfect for digestive health as well as preventing constipation and keeping your colon healthy. The addition of raisins to this salad not only helps to make it look more interesting but also gives the flavour a nice twist. Raisins are known to improve eye health and the health of your bones so double bonus!
- 450 g uncooked Brussels sprouts
- 2 large handfuls of rocket
- A large handful of parsley
- 100 g toasted pine nuts
- A large handful of raisins
- A large handful of dried cranberries
- 1 avocado
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Using a hand grater or mandoline, grate the Brussels sprouts and then add the shaved Brussels sprouts to a large salad bowl. You can then add the rocket, parsley, toasted pine nuts, raisins and cranberries into the bowl too. And, of course, the avocado. Next, in a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients together and pour them over the salad.
- This is wonderful and delicious salad where you and your guests will be surprised that Brussels sprouts make such a wonderful meal! I also find that it is perfect for American Thanksgiving too!