Red Velvet Soup
When it comes to getting lots of nutrients into one dish, my Red Velvet Soup is the perfect way to do it.
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1.5 tsp cumin seeds
- 1.5 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- Pink Himalayan salt
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 8 cups veg stock
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 a lime
- 1/2 tsp agave nectar
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander
- Heat the coconut oil at medium heat in a large pan and add only the mustard and cumin seeds.
- Sauté the contents of the pan until they begin to pop and then quickly include the onion, ginger, turmeric, ground cumin and a pinch of the salt.
- Continue to sauté for a further two or three minutes and then chuck in the two cups of chopped tomatoes and an additional quarter tablespoon of salt.
- Now give your ingredients a quick stir and continue to sauté for another two minutes.
- Now you can include your first half cup of veggie stock and cook until the liquid is reduced by approximately a half.
- Add the red lentils and stir well before adding the remaining seven and a half cups of stock and the cinnamon stick.
- Turn the heat up to bring your concoction to the boil and then lower the heat again before covering and allowing to simmer for a good 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes the lentils should be tender so you can now add another quarter tablespoon of the Pink Himalayan salt and leave to simmer again for another five minutes.
- Now you can remove the cinnamon stick and stir in the juice of your lime and the agave nectar.
- Pour the entire contents of the pan into your blender and blitz it until it’s smooth.
- You can now serve into bowls, garnish with the chopped coriander and enjoy!