Red Coconut Cakes
Beets are incredibly sweet and that is why they work so well in cake recipes. These cakes are sort of like red velvet cupcakes, but they filled with all things good. Also, these cakes are soft, moist and just perfectly delicious. The nutritious make-up of beets is also a great reason to use them in your baking. They are high in potassium, magnesium, fiber, iron and phosphorous. Additionally, they contain high levels of vitamins A, B & C as well as folic acid. They are great as an inclusion in every diet but they are especially great for pregnant people because of the vitamin B, iron and folic acid. Because of the presence of betaine and tryptophan in beets, they are also beneficial for your mental health. They can also help to lower your blood pressure and boost your energy.
- 1¼ cups / 6 ¼ oz / 190g of whole wheat (all-purpose) flour
- ¼ cup /1 ¾ oz / 50g of coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp raw cacao
- 2-3 large beets, steamed and pureed until smooth
- ½ cup / 6oz / 175g of organic runny honey
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Before you get started, preheat the oven to 425F / 220C / gas mark 7 and line a 12-cup muffin tray.
- You can then sift the flour, coconut sugar, raw cacao, and baking powder into a large bowl. Mix until well combined, and then set aside.
- Place the pureed beet, honey, coconut oil, lemon juice, and vanilla extract in a blender or food processor and blitz for one to two minutes until it is smooth. Pour the mixture over the dry ingredients and mix well to combine.
- Next, spoon the mixture into the muffin tray before placing in a preheated oven. You can then bake for approximately 20 minutes. After this time, check the muffins have cooked all the way through. If they are not quite ready yet then return to the oven for another five minutes before turning out on to a wire rack to cool before serving.
- The cakes will store for three days in an airtight container. Serve with your favourite cup of herbal or green tea and enjoy.