Mixed Nut Burgers
Not keen on veggie burgers? Well, I urge you to give this recipe a try! Top with your favourite relish, pickles, onions, tomatoes, or mustard and enjoy!
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- 1/3 cup raw cashew nuts
- 1/3 cup raw almonds
- 1/3 cup raw Brazil nuts
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 6 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp coconut oil plus extra for cooking
- 1 tbsp wholewheat (all-purpose) flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- The first step is to bring a large pan of water to the boil and cook the Bulgur wheat for 10 minutes, or according to packet instructions. After this time, you can drain any excess water and set aside to cool.
- Place the chopped cashew nuts, almonds and Brazil nuts into a large bowl. (To ensure that the nuts are finely chopped, you might want to give them a quick blitz in your blender or food processor.)
- Add the ground flaxseed, water, coconut oil, flour, and cumin into the bowl with the nuts. Stir well to ensure that all of the ingredients are well combined. Once the Bulgur wheat is cooled to room temperature, add it to the bowl and stir well to combine.
- Divide the mixture into six equal parts and then form your patties by rolling into balls and gently flattening with the heel of your hand. You can then drizzle a little coconut oil into a large skillet (frying pan) and leave to heat for a couple of minutes. When the oil is hot, add the patties and fry for five minutes each side.
- Serve in whole-wheat buns or with your favourite salad dish.