Julie’s Vegan Pizza
If your kids are anything like mine, then there’s a good chance that pizza is one of their favourite dishes. The problem with a lot of store bought pizzas is that they can be high in fat, high in calories, and also contain additional additives and preservatives that aren’t going to do your health any favours! My recipe for vegan pizza is a simple way to create a fresh, healthy pizza that the kids will still love – all four of mine certainly do!
- Agave syrup
- Olive oil
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 white onions, thinly sliced into 1/2 moons
- 2 tbsp Tbsp of tomato paste
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 handfuls of rocket
- 10 stalks of tender-stem broccoli
- 1 yellow pepper, de-seeded and thinly sliced long-ways
- 1 red pepper, de-seeded and thinly sliced long-ways
- 2 BFree pizza bases
- Begin by pre-heating your oven to 200C and preparing all of your ingredients.
- Take the sliced onions and fry at a medium to high heat with a splash of olive oil.
- Once the onions have begun to soften, which should take around five minutes, you can then add one tablespoon of agave syrup. This will allow the onions to caramelise, so leave them to do their thing for a further few minutes.
- After this time, you can remove them from the heat and set aside.
- Next, in a food processor, whizz the tinned tomatoes with the tomato paste and one tablespoon of the agave syrup until smooth.
- Set this aside as you’ll be using it as your red sauce.
- Place the red and yellow peppers on a baking sheet and drizzle olive oil over them. Roast in the oven for ten minutes, as they just start to get soft.
- Place the broccoli in a shallow pan and cover with 2cm of water. Heat at a medium heat for just five minutes. You can then drain and remove from the heat.
- Slather the BFree pizza base with your red sauce, top with the caramelised onions, red and yellow peppers, and the broccoli. Each pizza should then get a tablespoon of pine nuts and a sprinkle of paprika!
- Cook for 10 minutes (pine nuts will be perfectly toasted) and once out of the oven, top each pizza with a handful of rocket. Enjoy!