Goji Berry Quinoa Bars
These bars make a wonderful on-the-go snack or quick breakfast, and they are full of goodness! I find it is a great idea to make up a batch over the weekend and then you will have a supply of healthy snacks during the week. These delicious bars do not require many ingredients and they do not take long to make either. You may not use cherries very often in your baking, which is a shame as they are bursting with flavour and nutrition! Consuming cherries regularly is known to soothe aching joints, protect the health of your colon, help to keep your cholesterol levels down and also to maintain your eyesight. Regular consumption of cherries can also help you to get a good nights sleep as they are a natural source of melatonin. Cherries can be expensive when compared to other fruits so shop around and check out your local markets for a good deal!
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 185 g of quinoa, cooked
- 140 g almonds, chopped
- 150 g of dried cherries, chopped
- 55 g goji berriesrries
- 2 tbsp brown rice syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- The first step is to preheat the oven to 425F / 220°C / gas mark 7 and grease an 8 × 8 × 1inch (20 × 20 × 2.5cm) square bake pan (cake tin) with a light layer of coconut oil
- On a separate baking tray, you can spread the cooked quinoa and almonds together before placing in the preheated oven for ten minutes.
- When the mixture is toasted, remove the tray from the oven and reduce the heat to 350°F / 180°C / gas mark 4. You can then place the cherries, goji berries, brown rice syrup and water into a food processor and blitz for a couple of minutes until everything is smooth. Once this is complete, transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl and add the toasted almonds and quinoa. Stir well to combine.
- Next, spoon the mixture into the bake pan and press down firmly with the back of a spoon.
- Ensure the mixture covers the bottom of the pan evenly. Then place in a preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes. Once cooked, cut the mixture into bars before turning out onto a wire rack to cool. These bars will keep fresh in an airtight container for up to five days.