Ginger and Umeboshi Aubergines
Ginger and Umeboshi Aubergines is a fantastically filling side dish that will perfectly complement any nutritious meal.
- 500 grams aubergines
- 2 small onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 red chilli
- 2 cm ginger
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 2 tbsp umeboshi paste
- 1.5 tsp coconut palm sugar
- 75 ml fresh water
- 1 mango
- A dash sea salt
- Rapeseed oil
- Place the sliced aubergines in a dish and sprinkle with sea salt. Leave for 30 mins.
- Fry the onions, garlic, ginger and chilli in rapeseed oil in a large pan.
- Once the onions begin to brown, add the spices and continue to fry for three to four minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and transfer contents to a separate bowl.
- Wipe the salt from the aubergines with kitchen towel and place them in the frying pan.
- Add a splash of oil and fry until the aubergines are golden-brown on both sides.
- Remove from pan and into an oven dish. Place in the oven and cook on a low heat.
- Take the fried onion mixture and return it to the frying pan.
- Add the umeboshi paste to the pan with coconut palm sugar and water.
- Cook on a high heat for a few minutes, stirring frequently before lowering the heat and leaving to simmer for five minutes.
- Place the contents of your pan to your food processor with the flesh of the mango and blitz for 30 seconds.
- Remove the aubergines from the oven and arrange on a dish before drizzling the sauce from the food processor over them.