Garlic Peas and Kale with Smashed Avocado
This dish works well as a main meal for one or as a side dish for two or more. The combination of green vegetables with the healthy fats of the avocado mean that you are getting a dose of nutrition that’s difficult to rival! The four large handfuls of kale that you’ll use in this recipe are seriously beneficial for your body as kale is known to lower levels of LDL (bad) cholesterol. Not only that but it is also rammed full of vitamins and nutrients, such as vitamins A, C and K, manganese, copper and fiber among many others! The high antioxidant count of kale also makes it amazing for protecting your body against cancer – it is a leaf that truly deserves the superfood label! The use of pumpkin seeds brings a massive serving of magnesium into this dish which is essential in keeping your heart, bones and teeth healthy, not to mention the proper function of your blood vessels and bowels. Pumpkin seeds are also a fantastic source of zinc which the body needs to keep your eyes and skin healthy, whilst also ensuring proper cell growth. The high omega-3 fatty acid count in avocados provides your body with the good kind of fat that it craves as well as a decent dose of protein. Fresh avocados contain a huge amount of antioxidants, most notably lycopene and beta-carotene which greatly help to reduce cell damage. Sound like a meal that you want to enjoy?!
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 400 g frozen peas
- 4 large handfuls of kale, stems removed
- 1 avocado, roughly chopped
- handful pumpkin seeds
- Melt the coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Once the oil has started to get hot, you can add the garlic, onion and peas until the garlic and onion start to soften.
- After a few minutes the peas should start to soften and cook too. Next, add the lemon zest and juice, kale, avocado and pumpkin seeds.
- You should then season with sea salt and ground pepper.
- The next step is to take a potato masher and roughly mash the mixture.
- Be sure to add in a decent drizzle of olive oil while you are doing so.
- Your Garlic Peas with Smashed Avocado is now ready to enjoy as it is or to add on to the side of another meal! The creamy mixture is sure to go down a treat with guests as an original addition to the menu!