Fennel & Pear Salad with Chilli Cashews & Avocado
Okay, so this is one literally one of those recipes where I looked in the fridge and was like….Oh my, we don’t have any food in the house except for fennel! And so….. this recipe was created out of love for the fennel that was staring me back in the face, saying ‘Eat Me, I’m good for you!’ And yes, fennels are very very good for you as they help with indigestion, anaemia, constipation, heart disease, cancer, blood pressure and even brain function and bad breath! However, I’ve learned that fennel is something you either love or hate. It’s a super strong aniseed flavour, so quite bold in taste! However, I’ve found that by mixing fennel with something sweet, like pear and then a bit spicy like the chilli flakes makes this salad not only deliciously nutritious but worth eating!
- 1 Fennel
- 1 avocado
- 1 pear
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- large handful of cashews
- 1 lime, juiced
- handful fresh mint
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C
- Once heated, coat the cashews in some coconut oil, sprinkle with chilli flakes and place in a baking tray and toast for 10 minutes until lightly browned.
- Using a mandoline slicer, slice the fennel into thin slices.
- De-seed the avocado and cut the avocado into thick chunks.
- Place the fennel and avocado in a medium bowl or large plate.
- Peel the pear and grate the pear over the fennel and avocado.
- Add the lime juice over the salad to keep the pear from browning.
- In the meantime, in a pan over medium heat, melt the coconut oil. Once melted, toast the fennel and cumin seeds for about 3-5 minutes.
- Toss the toasted seeds, cashews and fresh mint over the salad and enjoy!