Chia Porridge with Spicy Pineapple Topping
If you tried my Chocolate Chai Chai Pudding then you’ll already know how easy it is to include chia seeds in a delicious dish. Packed with nutrients and full of goodness, chia seeds are a fantastic addition to your morning meal and will give you the boost you may need to get going! Porridge is an amazing choice for breakfast, for so many reasons, and will help you feel fuller throughout the day. If you like to experiment with different toppings for your porridge and are ready to try something a little bit different, then my Chia Porridge with Spicy Pineapple Topping is just what you’re looking for! To make this dish for breakfast, you have to prepare it the night before! But don’t worry, it’s not a long process and it means you simply have to serve yourself in the morning – no fuss! Pineapples are low in calories but contain high amounts of essential minerals and vitamins. Also, there is no saturated fat or cholesterol in the flesh, so it is great for restoring the natural balance of your body. Pineapples are a great source of bromelain which is an enzyme that aids digestion by breaking down protein. Bromelain has anti-clotting, anti-inflammatory and ant-cancer properties and getting a generous amount of it into your diet will help your body keep things like arthritis at bay. Cardamom pods have many health promoting properties and have a high antioxidant count as well as containing many essential oils for the body. It is also a fantastic source of calcium, potassium, magnesium, iron and manganese, making it great for overall heart health as well as your blood pressure.
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 cup milk of your choice (I like hazelnut, almond, oat) or water
- 2/3 cup porridge oats
- dash freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 2 cardamom pods, crushed in a mortar and pestle
- pinch Himalayan sea salt (optional)
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/3 pineapple
- The zest of 1/2 a lime
- 1/2 vanilla pod, scraped
- 1 star anise
- So to begin, take your porridge oats, milk, chia seeds and combine together in a jar or a bowl with the dash of lime. Place in the fridge and leave overnight.
- Next you can turn your attention to creating the spicy pineapple topping. Begin by cutting your pineapple into chunks which you can then place in a large jar or container.
- Then, using your pestle and mortar, crush the whole spices and leave to one side.
- Next, add the remaining ingredients into the same container and mash together with the pineapple with a large spoon. This will release the juices of the pineapple but be sure to leave a few good chunks intact! You can then add in the crushed spices from your pestle and mortar.
- Cover your container with an airtight lid and then place in the fridge, alongside your porridge, to marinate. This only has to be left for an hour so you can make it fresh before your meal or do it the night before with the porridge. The pineapple mix will last for approximately one week, so totally up to you!