Chestnut Chia Savory Pancakes with Peach Salsa
Pancakes are no longer just a meal for the morning! With this dish you can nourish your body at any time of the day with a combination of savory pancakes and sweet peaches. Peaches are at their freshest during the summer months but they are generally available all year round. This fruit is a rich source of vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E as well as several complex B vitamins. Additionally, peaches are a delicious dose of potassium, calcium, phosphorous, magnesium, iron and zinc! Peaches will also provide you with a healthy portion of fiber, however, the majority of the fiber is in the skin so be sure to eat this too!
- 2 1/2 cup chestnut flour
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 3 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 small red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cup water
- Coconut oil for frying
- 1 red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 1 green jalepeno chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 4 ripe peaches, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp coconut nectar/syrup or honey
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- handful fresh coriander, chopped
- All you have to do to make the peach salsa is to add all the ingredients into a bowl and whisk together.
- Then, to make the pancakes, take a large bowl and whisk all the ingredients together except the water. Next, slowly pour the water in, whisking as you go, until a batter is formed. Cover the batter and then let it sit for 30 minutes.
- The next step is to heat an 8-inch skillet and melt the coconut oil until it covers the hot pan.
- After 30 minutes, whisk the batter again and pour about a 1/3 of a cup into the skillet. Cook the pancake for approximately two minutes until the edges start to turn brown.
- Then using a spatula, carefully flip the pancake over the other side and cook for another two minutes. It doesn’t need to be perfect! Add more oil before cooking each pancake. Once the pancakes are all cooked, serve immediately with the peach salsa.