Cashew Corn Soup with Broccoli Puree
This soup is a particular favourite of mine as it is perfect for both lunch and dinner. Making a big batch of it is enough to refuel my husband and I at lunch time and also to fill all four kids up in the evening! The combination of vegetables, nuts, herbs and spices means that it’s not just satisfying the hunger pangs but also really nourishing the body in the process! Cashew nuts contain an incredible amount of goodness and are especially great for heart health, muscle growth and fighting infection. Add to that the turmeric, which from my previous post, we already know is a health god of spices and cumin which boasts a massive array of health boosting properties! The absolute first thing you need to do when making this soup is soak the cashew nuts for at least four or five hours and it’s better if you do it overnight! So before you go to bed put your cashew nuts in a cup and pour in enough water to cover. Leave the cup in the fridge and they will be ready to use in the morning.
- 1/2 cup cashew nuts
- A bunch of broccoli
- 6 1/2 cloves of garlic
- 1 1/2 onions
- Almond milk
- Dairy-free butter
- Pink Himalayan salt
- 1 1/2 cup sweetcorn
- 1 cube of veg stock
- 4 cup water
- So for the puree, cut one bunch of broccoli into florets; half will be used for the puree and half for the garnish.
- Boil the florets in water with the cloves of garlic and half an onion. After a few minutes, remove half of the florets and place them in cold water to cool them down until they are cold.
- Boil the remaining broccoli for a further ten minutes.
- Once the broccoli, garlic, and onions are boiled, blend them together with a splash of almond milk and a tablespoon of dairy-free butter.
- Chuck in a dash of salt, a pinch of paprika and half a clove of raw garlic.
- Moving on to the soup, fry a chopped onion in some oil over a medium heat with four cloves of garlic.
- After a few moments, add in a teaspoon of cumin and a teaspoon of garlic and continue to fry.
- After another minute add in half a cup of the soaked cashew nuts and the one and a half cups of sweetcorn.
- Now is the time to pour in four cups of water, bring it to the boil and then let it simmer for one hour.
- After this hour has passed, add a cube of veg stock into the pan and continue to simmer for another half an hour. You can now blend it to a fine consistency and add more salt if necessary. Your soup is now ready to be served into bowls.
- Once you have done so, pour as much puree as you like over the top and also position a couple of pieces of the previously blanched broccoli in the centre of each bowl to decorate. Enjoy!