Carrot Salad with Broccoli, Coconut and Almonds
This recipe uses both solid and blended foods together to create a delicious meal that also has a range of consistencies. Broccoli and almonds mixed with the coconut milk, veg stock and lemon is such an amazing flavour as well as an incredible source of goodness! Lemons might be small but they are often referred to as powerhouses thanks to the high nutrient count within. Just one squeeze of lemon juice is enough to provide your body with a dose of phytonutrients and antioxidants! Lemon juice is also known to be healing with antibiotic effects. The almonds, which you will have to pre-soak before you get started, also contain a selection of antioxidants as well as a multitude of vitamins and minerals. Almonds are also a fantastic source of mono-unsaturated fatty acids which are essential for keeping LDL cholesterol levels down!
- 4 medium carrots, spiralized
- 50 g almonds
- 200 g broccoli
- 1/2 tin coconut milk
- 1/2 cup veg stock
- 1 Squeeze of lemon
- A large handful of pumpkin seeds
- A large handful of currants
- Salt and pepper
- When making this dish, I prefer to steam the broccoli so that it’s soft but not overcooked! However, if you don’t have a steamer then it’s absolutely fine to boil, just make sure you don’t overdo it!
- Once the broccoli is cooked, combine it with the almonds, broccoli, coconut milk, veg stock and lemon in your food processor or blender. You should then blitz it well until it’s nearly a puree.
- The next step is to thoroughly mix with the spiralized carrots and then top with currants and pumpkin seeds before you season with salt and pepper. Yes, it’s that easy and super yummy too!