Cabbage, Carrot & Flaxseed Coleslaw
There are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of different ways to make coleslaw! Having a bowl of it as a side dish to a meal can really up the flavour of your meal but store bought varieties are often quite fatty. Making coleslaw yourself is a great way to keep the calories down and making a completely plant-based version that is devoid of dairy is perfect for keeping it healthy! It is not only delicious but also incredibly simple and you can easily rustle up a batch while your main meal is cooking. Although coleslaw is traditionally eaten with meat dishes, it is also delicious to have with pasta, pizza or even to mix in with a salad.
- 1 cup savoy cabbage
- 1 cup purple cabbage
- 1 cup carrots
- 1 cup mange tout
- 2 small red onions
- 1 lemon
- Olive oil
- Raw honey
- Salt & black pepper
- The first thing you’ll need to do is wash and finely slice both cups of cabbage and the carrots. You can either do this by hand or with a food processor.
- Next finely slice the mange tout by hand and slice your red onions. Simply put all of these ingredients into a bowl and mix together.
- Next, take another bowl and squeeze the juice of your lemon into it. Add to that four tablespoons of olive oil and a pinch of both salt and black pepper.
- Now is the time to mix in one tablespoon of raw honey before whisking together really well until it becomes creamy. A great way to ensure this dressing is as creamy as possible is to leave the olive oil and lemon in the fridge overnight before you make it!
- Once your dressing is ready pour it into the first bowl, add a tablespoon of flaxseeds and mix well before serving.