Mediterranean Quinoa & Lentil Salad
I was struggling to always eat well during work time, especially as I am community based in my job, so I don’t have access to a kitchen, and I often have to eat in my car! Not ideal. So I found myself grabbing things from cafes, supermarkets and even petrol stations, this totally goes against my whole ethos of a nutritious wholefoods diet. So I knew that I had to be more organised and prep food in advance. So last weekend I made up a big pan of quinoa and half the amount of lentils and popped them in the fridge until Monday night, when I made them into a meal to take to workall week… And oh my, was I glad that I had done that, I enjoyed it so much, even after 3 days in a row of eating it. It is full of goodness, flavour and is incredibly filling.
- 3 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1/4 cup capers
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive or cold pressed rapeseed oil
- 1/4 cup chopped black olives
- 1/2 cup dehydrated, sundried or fresh tomatoes
- Juice of half a lemon
- Handful of chopped parsley
- De-seed and chop the peppers into large chunks, arrange in an oven proof dish, chop and add the garlic and oil and coat evenly. Place in the oven at 200 and roast until the edges begin to char. Allow to cool and chop into smaller cm size pieces.
- Place the peppers into a bowl along with the tomatoes, olives, capers, onions, lemon juice and parsley, stir until all combined. Then add in the quinoa and lentils and mix until the pepper mixture is evenly distributed. Keep in an airtight container in the fridge and just dish out portions as needed.
- This is really great with some fresh chopped chilies to give a kick and maybe some feta or vegan cheese… Enjoy!