Super Berries & Collard Greens Smoothie
Maybe a bit too much toppings but I felt like supercharging this green smoothie with blueberries, goji, nibs and coconut. Added some collard greens and even though it was the first time blending them into smoothies, I quite liked it. They a bit bitter though so if bitterness is not for you, try mixing them with sweeter fruit or coconut butter and water to make it sweeter. These beautiful greens are a rich source of vitamin A and other antioxidants like carotene, lutein and zeaxantin that protect the eyes and vision and promote skin and mucus membranes health. They're also and excellent source of vitamin C and K which is involved in bone formation and increasing bone mass and density. Like all leafy greens they're high in dilated and minerals like magnesium, calcium and iron but one of their main properties is their elevated content of glucosinolates. These sulphur-containing compounds support liver function and detoxification pathways as well as protecting DNA from damage and carcinogens. So pick them up next time you're grocery shopping and try them out in smoothies or steamed.
- 1 cup Coconut water
- 1 handful Collard greens
- 1 medium Banana, frozen and chopped or
- 1 handful Frozen mango chunks
- 1 small Ginger piece
- 1 tsp Goji berries
- 1 tbsp Mixed cacao nibs and shredded coconut to decorate
- Place the coconut water in a blender and add the rest of the ingredients except the blueberries, goji, nibs and coconut to decorate.
- Use either the banana or mango chunks or do a mix of the two if you like.
- Blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and top with the fresh berries, goji, cacao nibs and dedicated coconut or any other topping you like. Enjoy!