Paleo Cranberry Coconut & Seedy "Porridge"
Colourful coconut, seeds and cranberry "porridge" topped with fresh blackberries and dried cranberries. No need for oats just some good old coconut shredded to make a grain free delicious breakfast with some coconut milk and cranberry juice as a liquid base. Cranberries contain phytochemicals called proantocyanidins that have a powerful effect against bacterial infections (especially urinary ones), disease formation and are able to decrease inflammation in the body. These are not the only antioxidant compounds contained in cranberries. In fact they have one of the highest antioxidants levels among berries being rich in lutein, zea-xantin, vitamin C, vitamin A and beta carotens among others which fight free radicals and reduce arterial plaque formation as well as preventing oxidation of cholesterol. Truly plant medicine at his best in a pretty yummy package! Pairing them with coconut complements their tartness and adds nutritional value (think fibre, healthy fats that stimulate metabolism, antibacterial and antiviral properties) making this a perfect way to start the day!
- 1 cup Coconut chips
- 1/2 cup Sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup Whole hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup Brazil nuts or macadamia nuts
- 1/2 cup Cranberry juice
- 1/2 cm Coconut milk
- 1 tsp Cinnamon powder
- 2 tsp Vanilla powder
- 1 tbsp Beetroot powder
- 1 pinch Salt
- 2 tbsp Dried cranberries
- 5-6 small Fresh blackberries
- Process coconut chips, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds and brazil nuts in a food processor until broken down in a small crumbly consistency.
- Transfer to a pot and add the coconut milk, cranberry juice, beetroot, cinnamon and vanilla powders, salt and 1 tablespoon of the dried cranberries.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and then simmer for about 5-10 minutes.
- Pour into a bowl or jar and top with dried cranberries and fresh blackberries. Enjoy!
- If you prefer your porridge a bit sweeter, drizzle some maple or date syrup on it.