Berry Smoothie with Raw Protein Cookie Dough bites
This refreshing and plant powered smoothie topped with protein chocolate chip cookie dough bites is perfect to recover after a eorkout or as an afternoon snack! I get asked about protein and protein powders quite a bit and I don't think we should get obsessed with it...if you have a balanced diet, plant based or not, you'll get enough protein with no problems. And yes, all plants contain amino acids which make up protein, all of them 😊 Of course there are special conditions or situations for example for athletes or post exercise where it can be beneficial to top it up and protein powders are extremely convenient and can be easily mixed up into smoothies or soups or used to make up bars or treats like I did in this case after being asked to create a pro chocolate chip cookie 😁🍪 My favourite are pea protein, which tends to have a milder flavour that blends easily with other ingredients, has a great amino acid profile and protein content and is quite well tolerated by everyone being gentle on the digestive system. Hemp is another good one, contains all essential amino acids and has a bit of a stronger nutty flavour. But mixed with some cacao or carob powder becomes super delicious and versatile. Experiment with different types and see which one suits you best.
- 1 cup Almond flour
- 1/2 cup Vanilla pea protein
- 1/2 cup Shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp Lucuma powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla powder
- 1/4 cup Cacao nibs
- 1/4 cup Date paste/maple syrup/brown rice syrup
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl until combined.
- Add your liquid sweetener of choice and mix by hand until a dough is formed.
- If too dry, adds a bit of water or plant milk. But you don't want if to be too sticky.
- Roll into small balls and place in the fridge to set or spread out with your fingers in a piece of parchment until you get a squared shape. Refrigerate for 10-15 minutes and then cut into small cubes.
- Pick one of my recipes for berry smoothie or if you like a chocolate or a green one, blend it up and top with your cookie dough bites Enjoy!
- p.s. Can substitute almond flour with seed flour or more shredded coconut blended up to obtain a fine flour like consistency.