Vegan Falafels with Avocado Tahini Sauce
This recipe is quick, simple and can easily be made gluten free.
- 400 g tinned chickpeas
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 green onions
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tbsp ground coriander seeds
- 2 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup wholemeal flour
- 1 cup sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/4 cup tahini
- Squeeze lemon juice
- 1 tsp oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup water
- For the falafels:
- In a large bowl, combine chickpeas, garlic, lemon juice, onions, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, basil, nutritional yeast and flour.
- Using a handheld mixer, blitz until smooth.
- Roll mixture into balls and coat with sesame seeds.
- Heat oil in a large fry pan and cook falafels until golden brown on both sides.
- For the sauce:
- In a medium sized bowl, combine avocado, tahini, lemon juice, oregano, salt and pepper, garlic and water.
- Mash with a fork or handheld mixer until smooth.
- Top warm falafels with sauce and serve with warm Lebanese bread!