Aubergine & Tomato Bake
Aubergine has to be my all time favourite vegetable! So satisfying and when combined with garlic in a tomato bake this is truly a healthy comfort food dish! Aubergines contain tons of nutrition including several important B vitamins, including Vitamin B1 (Thiamin), Vitamin B3 (Niacin), Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid), Vitamin B9 (Folic Acid), and Vitamin B12. (B complex is often prescribed for energy boosts so get if from your food ;-))! Dietary analysis: Protein 13.3g Carbohydrate 54.6g Sugars 26.6g Fibre 21g Fat 38.2g Total kcal 512
- Grated Parmesan
- 1 Egg
- 20 g torn Basil leaves
- 4 Aubergines
- 2 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 2 400g cans Chopped Tomatoes
- 6 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 cloves Garlic
- Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
- In a shallow pan, mix together the Garlic and 4 tbsp of the olive oil. Cook over a high heat for 3 mins, tip in the tomatoes, then simmer for 8 mins, stirring every now and then. Stir in the tomato purée.
- Meanwhile, heat a griddle pan until very hot. Brush a few of the aubergines with a little oil, then add to the pan.
- Cook over a high heat until well browned and cooked through, about 5-7 mins. Turn them halfway through cooking. Lift onto kitchen paper and do the next batch.
- When all the Aubergines are cooked, lay a few of them in the bottom of an ovenproof dish, then spoon over some sauce.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan/Almonds and basil leaves. Add seasoning, repeat this process with the remaining ingredients. Finally, pour the egg over the top, sprinkle over a little more Parmesan & almonds, then bake for 20 mins or until the topping is golden.