Pomegranate Saffron Cake
Deliciously layered sponge cake with whipped cream and topped with colorful Pomegranate and RawSpiceBar’s Saffron threads.
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Saffron Threads
- Preheat oven to 350F. Butter and flour a 9-inch round cake pan.
- Grind RawSpiceBar’s Saffron Threads and ½ tbsp sugar together until saffron is ground. Add 1 tbsp hot water and let sit 5 minutes.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Beat together butter and sugar in a large bowl. Add eggs and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in the milk, oil, vanilla, and saffron liquid.
- Use a wooden spoon to stir the dry ingredients into the wet half at a time. Be careful not to over-mix.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake until about 25 minutes. Top with sesame seeds and let cook another 10-15 minutes, until golden or toothpick inserted inside comes out clean or with just a couple crumbs.
- Let cool on a wire rack.
- Top with fresh whipped cream and fresh pomegranates, if desired.
- Serve and enjoy! Take a photo, share your feedback, and share your delicious cooking and be sure to tag @rawspicebar & #rawspicebar!
buy spices online