MEAT AND YELLOW SPLIT PEAS ADVIEH STEW
It's a terrific main course, which you can pair it with steamed rice.
- 2 lb meat (lamb or beef)
- 1 cup yellow split peas
- 1 large onion
- 2-3 tbsp tomato paste
- 4-5 dried limes (limoo amani)
- 1 tsp rosewater
- Salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil
- 2 large potatoes
- Advieh Spice
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a small pot over medium heat, add the tomato paste and saute for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, until it starts to change color. Set aside.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a large pan over medium heat, add the onions and saute until they are translucent, add RawSpiceBar’s Advieh Spice and stir well. After a minute or two, add the meat and brown on all sides. Add salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Add the yellow split peas to the pot and saute for 5 minutes, spoon in the the tomato paste. Mix thoroughly.
- Add water to cover all the ingredients in the pot by 1-2 inches. Add in the dried limes. Lower the heat, cover and cook for about 1-1/4 hours or until the meat is well-cooked. Add a little bit of water and adjust the seasoning when needed.
- Yellow split peas shouldn’t turn too soft and mushy, they still need to have a bit of bite to them. You may parboil them separately until they are just tender and add them to the pot in the last 30 minutes.
- In the last ten minutes add the rosewater if you like.