Ghormeh Sabzi (Persian Herb Stew)
Cooking Persian food can be time-consuming. Ghormeh Sabzi is one of the most loved Persian Stews, but is also true that it is probably one of the most time consuming recipes because of the amount of herbs that are used. For this recipe, you can get everything ready the night before.
- 2 pound lamb or chicken
- 1 cup kidney beans
- 1 yellow onion
- 4 bunch parsley
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 2 large leeks or 4 scallions
- 2 lemons
- Salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp Rose & Cinnamon Advieh
- Clean and wash herbs, dry thoroughly and chop finely.
- Heat 1/3 cup of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat and saute herbs, 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Set aside.
- In a large stew pot, saute chopped onions in 2 tablespoons of oil until they become golden brown.
- Add the meat, Rose & Cinnamon Advieh, salt, pepper and let brown on all sides. Add beans, herbs and lemon juice.
- Add water to cover the mixture by 2-3 inches, bring to a boil on high heat. Reduce heat, cover and cook on low, about 90 minutes.
- After 90 minutes, season as necessary and let simmer another 30 minutes (the longer it simmers, the better it tastes). Serve hot with rice, salad and/or yogurt and enjoy!