Achiote Beans Recado
A great way to cook up some beans!
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano
- 1 onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 2 serrano (or other small, medium-hot) peppers
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 15 oz cans pinto beans or mixed beans
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 tbsp agave nectar (or other sweetener)
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp Achiote Recado Rojo
- 1 pinch cayenne
- fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tbsp molasses (or other sweetener)
- In a large saucepan, sauté the onion the onion until it is beginning to brown. Add the two types of peppers and garlic and stir for another minute. Measure out 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of RawSpiceBar’s Achiote Recado Rojo and add it to the pot. Cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds and then stir in all remaining ingredients except lime juice.
- Cover, turn the heat to its lowest setting, and cook for about an hour and a half. Check and stir periodically (every 15 minutes or so), making sure that the beans are not sticking and that there is enough liquid in the pot; if not, add a little water. By the end of cooking, the beans should be moist but still thick enough to sit on a tortilla without running off.
- Remove from the heat, and just before serving add a squeeze of fresh lime juice and extra salt or red pepper to taste.
- Notes: This should cook well in a slow cooker on low for 4-6 hours.
buy spices online