Vegan Eggplant & White Bean "Meatballs"
These Italian-style veggie balls are hearty, flavorful and perfect for topping pasta or stuffing into sub sandwiches.
- 2 lb Eggplant
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- 1 can Cannellini Beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 Fresh Basil Leaves
- 4 cloves Garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Bread Crumbs, divided
- 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- Slice eggplant into 1″ discs. Cube each disc into 4-10 cubes, depending on disc size. Soak eggplant in a bowl of cold water for 45-90 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse eggplant cubes and drain in colander. Use a clean towel to remove excess moisture. Toss eggplant cubes with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon salt. Bake at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes, tossing half way through cooking.
- After removing eggplant from oven, reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- Allow eggplant to cool slightly. I put it in a the food processor with the top on for a few minutes to release some liquid. Combine eggplant, canellini beans, basil leaves, 4 cloves garlic and 1/2 teaspoon sea salt. Pulse until a smooth mixture begins to form, be sure to keep a little texture.
- our eggplant mixture into a bowl. Stir in 1/4 cup bread crumbs and 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup bread crumbs, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder and 1 teaspoon olive oil.
- Form eggplant mixture into balls (I used a 1/4 cup measure for each). Toss each ball in the breadcrumb & oil mixture. Place coated balls on a parchment lined baking sheet. I got 9 balls out of this batch.
- Bake balls at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Turn heat up to 425 degrees and cook for another 25 minutes or until crisp and golden, flip half way through.