Vegan Baked Cauliflower "Wings"
These delicious cauliflower "wings" are the perfect vegan-friendly vehicle for any dipping sauce. I'm using an easy buffalo sauce here, for a classic flavor.
- 1 Large Head Cauliflower
- 1.5 cup Milk
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 3/4 cup Sauce
- 1 cup Flour
- 3/4 cup Hot Sauce
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut cauliflower into big bite-size florets (see more pics on my blog). Set aside.
- Mix 1 cup flour, 1.5 cups milk (2% dairy milk or unsweetened non-dairy milk), 1 teaspoon each salt and garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon each paprika and pepper, and 1 tablespoon coconut oil.
- Dip florets into batter, gently shake off excess. Place on baking sheet in a single layer with as much space between florets as possible.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 18-20 minutes. Gently flip. Cook for another 12-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the buffalo sauce (if using). Combine 2 tablespoons coconut oil, 3/4 cup hot sauce and 1/4 tsp garlic powder in a small sauce pan. Heat over low heat for 3-5 minutes.
- When cauliflower is finished, allow to cool slightly then add to a mixing bowl. Pour sauce (in this case buffalo) over the “wings” and gently toss to coat. Bake for another 10 minutes.
- *I made two different batches, one using whole wheat flour and one using all-purpose flour. I found that the all-purpose flour created a better crispness and color, but the whole wheat was super good too. Next time, I will probably stick with the whole wheat for the added nutritional value.
- **These are tasty reheated so feel free to make ahead. Simply bake the refrigerated “wings” at 450 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until crisp.
- ***I used So Delicious brand plain unsweetened almond milk. Be sure to use a plain and unsweetened variety, if using a dairy-free milk