Fiesta Black Beans
This easy bean stew is packed with protein, fiber, and flavor. Eat as a main dish, or serve as a side dish to any Mexican meal.
- 1 tbsp Canola Oil
- 1 cup Diced Carrots
- 1 cup Diced Red Onion
- 3 cloves Minced Garlic
- 1 Jalapeno, cut into short, thin strips
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1 can Organic Black Beans
- 1/4 cup Grated Cheddar Cheese
- Prep all veggies.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Add carrots and onions and season with salt and pepper (I used 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper). Cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and jalapeño. Cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1 cup water and spices, chili powder through paprika. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans and simmer until liquid has mostly evaporated, about 6-8 minutes. The longer the beans simmer, the better. Add at least 1 cup, but add more as desired and cook until a thick consistency is reached. This time I added 1½ cups of water total.
- When liquid is sufficiently evaporated, remove from heat. Stir in shredded cheese (optional). Serve hot and garnish with more cheese, red onion, and diced avocado, if desired.