UNDERCOVER COFFEE GELATO
We call this ‘undercover’ because this may look like a plain old vanilla ice cream, but it actually packs a roasted coffee punch. So go ahead and flabbergast your friends, surprise your spouse and astonish your, er aunt with a caffeine kick. If you haven’t tried olive oil in ice cream before it gives a deep flavour and a smooth texture. So try it now.
- 1 1/2 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- pinch Salt
- 3 large Egg yolks
- 1/4 tsp vanilla or less
- 50 ml Extra virgin olive oil with coffee
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream/whipping cream
- Bring the milk and cream to boil in a medium-sized saucepan, then immediately remove from the heat and set aside. With an electric or stand mixer beat the egg yolks and sugar and salt, on high, until the mix triples in volume. Scrape down the sides of the bowl occasionally to ensure thorough mixing. Reduce the speed to low and slowly drizzle in the olive oil.
- Slowly add all the hot milk mixture to the eggy sugar, then pour the whole concoction back into the saucepan. Whisk constantly over a medium-low heat until the mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon. Be careful not to overheat it or the eggs will curdle. This can take about 8 minutes.
- Place a fine mesh sieve (or a piece of muslin) over a large bowl and strain the gelato mixture through it. Mix in the vanilla and chill it for 4 hours or even overnight. Then add the mixture to an ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s instructions for freezing.
- Stop the churning as soon as the gelato is just frozen.