SILVIA'S LIMONCELLO RECIPE
This is a recipe from my friend Silvia. She uses 100% pure alcohol as the main ingredient, which can be bought from your typical Italian supermarket. Since most of the rest of world can’t be trusted with such easy to access pure liquor (hic), I’ve used vodka instead. It’s simple and the results are great.
- 6 Lemons, unwaxed
- 500 ml Vodka
- 200 g Sugar
- 200 ml Water
- Take six organic unwaxed lemons, don’t wash them, but just wipe them with a wet cloth. Peel off the zest with a potato peeler and be careful not to include the pith – the white part, which would make the limoncello too bitter.
- Leave the lemon zest for ten days in the vodka in a dark place.
- After ten days, melt the sugar in the water on a low heat, take it off the stove and then mix it with the alcohol and lemon.
- Wait for it to cool thoroughly, then filter the resulting liquid. You can use a coffee filter for this.
- Store in the freezer and drink ice-cold.