SHORT RIBS SLOW COOKED IN A SPICY COFFEE RUB
This recipe is all about taking things slowly. Allow the meat to marinate slowly in its sweet and spicy coffee-charged rub, the longer the better. Slowly roast it in the oven until it is soft and succulent, again the slower the better, just lower the temperature. The only thing that probably won’t be done slowly is scoffing it down – but maybe your will power is stronger than ours. Thanks to Alicia in Texas for this spicy little recipe.
- 100 g Brown sugar
- 20 g Chili powder
- 5 g Smoked paprika
- 60 ml Extra virgin olive oil with coffee
- Coarse sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- 2 kg Short ribs/Jacobs ladder
- several of Carrots
- several of Onions
- 500 ml Filter coffee
- Create a rub using the coffee flavoured oil, brown sugar, chili powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Rub the ribs all over set aside to marinate for 30 minutes to an hour. Preheat the oven to 300oF/150oC.
- Arrange carrots and onions in the bottom of a roasting pan or pot roast dish. Set the ribs on top of the vegetables. Pour the brewed coffee over the ribs, cover and roast for 3 hours, until it’s tender and falling apart.
- Pour the pan juices and vegetables into a saucepan. Skim the fat off the top of the juices and discard. Serve the meat on the bone with the juices and vegetables.