ITALIAN BAKED EGGS
How do you like your eggs in the morning? There are many variations on baked eggs but we like them best the Italian way. AKA the simple way. Serve for breakfast, brunch, lunch or a speedy supper.
- 800 g Best quality tinned whole tomatoes
- 2 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 4 Free-range eggs
- 1 tsp or 1 tbsp of Oregano, dried
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Heat the oil in a deep heavy pan/skillet. Then add the garlic and saute until lightly browned.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and cook on a gentle heat for 3 minutes or until just starting to boil.
- With the back of a fork squash the tomatoes to break them up.
- Turn the heat right down and add the dried oregano or fresh herbs, reserving a little to sprinkle on top before serving.
- Season with salt & pepper and leave to cook very gently for 10 minutes or until sauce starts to thicken.
- Using a spoon, create 4 little wells for the eggs. Then very carefully crack the eggs one by one into them.
- Place a lid over the pan and continue to cook at a very low heat for around 5-8 minutes or until the eggs are cooked.
- Serve immediately with some toast and a sprinkle of the remaining herbs. For a little kick, drizzle with chilli oil.