Easy Lemon and Basil Pesto
A simple way to add a flavour punch to lots of meals! A dairy free vegan option is included.
- 100 grams fresh basil
- 25 grams fresh flat leaf parsley
- 100 grams pine nuts
- 1 lemon
- 1 clove fresh garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 30 grams parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Spread the pine nuts out over a small baking tray and toast them in the oven for about 5 minutes or until they just start browning. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Give the herbs a quick wash, then remove the tough middle stems from the basil and chop the thick stems off the base of the parsley.
- Place the herbs into a food processor together with the juice of the lemon, olive oil and the garlic. Pulse around until it starts to form a smooth paste.
- Add in the pine nuts and pulse again until the nuts are broken up as much as you desire. If you are going to add the parmesan or the nutritional yeast, add it in now while you're pulsing in the nuts. (Chop the parmesan into small pieces if you're using it from a block).
- Taste test and season with a little salt and pepper. Once you're happy with the flavour, scoop all of the pesto into a clean jar. If you're not using it right away, pour a little extra olive oil over the top to help it keep for longer. It will last about a week in the fridge - I usually divide the batch it two and freeze half in a little container or in ice cube trays (so handy!)