The Perfect Porridge
Oats are such a great way to start the day. This super-grain is not only incredibly delicious but has so many health benefits too. Bursting with dietary fibre, which not only does wonders for your digestive system but keeps you fuller for longer, oats also fall on the lower end of the GI spectrum, meaning they help keep your blood sugar levels balanced – preventing hunger pangs, and giving you longer lasting, steadier energy levels. Oats are also available as a gluten free option, which is a great way for celiacs to fuel with healthy carbohydrates. I love my oats soaked overnight in brown rice milk with berries, cacao and maca, or blended into thick creamy smoothies – but let’s be honest, when it’s oh so brrrr outside, eating them hot is simply the best. For porridge, texture is key; I love mine milky and creamy with a crunchiness from the fruit and a nuttiness from ground seeds or spoonful of nut butter. In this recipe I cook the oats with homemade almond milk or oat milk, a touch of cinnamon and almond butter for an amazing creamy protein kick. Then i add whatever superfood jewels i have in the cupboard. I love using bee pollen, goji berries, blueberries and cacao nibs. Its so quick to make in the morning, no fuss required and is the most satisfying and energising start to your day. For athletes It’s also a perfect carbohydrate dense breakfast which will give your muscles all the energy they need to get firing.
- 1 tsp Maca
- 1 banana
- 2 tsp bee pollen
- a pinch cinnamon
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 2 tbsp Almond butter
- 3/4 cup oats
- 3 cups home-made almond milk/ oat/ brown rice milk
- Start by putting the almond milk, almond butter and cinnamon in a pan and placing over high heat.
- After about two minutes, test the temperature, when its hot but not boiling move it on to medium heat and add the oats.
- Keep on stirring, you may at this point need to bring the temperature of the heat even lower, as you don’t want the porridge to overheat and boil.
- After about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, add the rest of the ingredients your using, stir well and pour into two bowls.