Sweet potato & black bean burgers
These burgers are the ultimate veggie burgers, honestly they’re unlike any i’ve ever made before! Even really heavy meat-eaters love them which is awesome, so you can really make them for anybody and you know they’ll go down a treat! They’re made from sweet potato and black beans with sweet corn, caramelised red onion and gluten free brown rice flour to bind them together. Sweet potatoes are one of my favourite foods and in this recipe make the inside of the burger so incredibly gooey and sweet. They’re also fantastic for you, with an amazing wealth of powerful antioxidants like beta-carotene and Vitamin C, which fight free radicals in the body. On the side of these delicious burgers you always need a dip, and my favourites are between an avocado cream (natures mayonnaise) and a roasted red pepper hummus. Both are equally as delicious, but it really depends on what your craving. You can even make both! I love making this with a side of kale wilted in a rich tahini dressing.
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp ground oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 2 red onions
- 1 cup sweet corn
- 3 cups black beans
- 3 sweet potatoes
- Preheat your oven to 190c Peal and chop the Sweet potato into small cubes, drizzle with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and cook for 25-30 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile rinse and drain your beans and place in to a large mixing bowl. With a masher mash until roughly half the mixture becomes a paste.
- In a frying pan add the onions and cook until caramelised. Place in mixing bowl with the spices and sweet corn.
- Once the sweet potato is done, mash well before adding to mixing bowl, Mix well. Add the brown rice flour to bind and continue to stir. Shape into 8 large patties and place in the fridge to cool.
- To cook: in a frying pan, drizzle olive oil and fry the burgers for 3 minutes on each side, place on a baking tray and cook at 190 degrees for a further 10-15 minutes until crisp.