This Kale Salad is one of my all time favourite salads. It’s packed full of deliciously healthy ingredients; creamy cubes of avocado, caramelised sweet potato wedges, pomegranate seeds, maple roasted walnuts and an amazing tahini-tamari dressing. Raw crunchy kale, hardly seems very appetising, but with a little bit of magic it really becomes delicious. The key to a good kale salad is a thick, creamy, tantalising dressing and a massage (not for you, for the kale!). However bizarre massaging your kale may sound, it let’s the dressing ooze into the leaves and wilts the kale making it soft and easy to eat! Kale is a nutritional powerhouse and the King of greens. It’s an amazing source of iron, having calorie for calorie more iron than beef! It’s an amazing source of immune boosting antioxidants and a powerful anti-inflammatory, which both protect the body against free radicals and disease. Kale also contains a wealth of calcium, calorie for calorie even more than milk! This helps maintain strong and health bones and prevents against bone weakness and osteoporosis. Kale is a great source of fibre making it a perfect detox food. This recipe takes no time to make, is really simple and so delicious! It makes the perfect light meal or side.
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tbsp tamari (add to taste)
- 4 tbsp orange juice
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 heaped tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 large avocado
- 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
- 180 g fresh kale
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Start by pealing the sweet potato and chopping them into small bite sized cubes, line on a roasting tray, drizzle with olive oil a tsp of cinnamon and place in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile wash the kale, and remove any hard stems.
- Mix all ingredients for the dressing in a bowl. Pour the dressing into the bowl with the kale, and massage for approx 3 minutes, until the kale softens/wilts.
- Add the walnuts to a bowl with the pure maple syrup and olive oil, mic well and add to the tray with the sweet potato wedges for 2-3 minutes before removing.
- Slice your avocado into cubes and add to the salad with the pomegranate seeds and the roasted sweet potato wedges.
- Toss well, and plate, sprinkling with toasted walnuts. Enjoy!