Cheese-less 'Cheesy' Butternut Pasta
This recipe for Cheesy Pasta sounds like it’s anything but good for you, but it honestly is so full of goodness it’s crazy. The cheese sauce is made from butternut squash, cashews, nutritional yeast and lemon juice, with a few other ingredients to enhance the flavour. The butternut squash and cashews make the sauce really creamy whilst the nutritional yeast and lemon juice are what makes it ‘cheesy’. Nutritional yeast is full of B vitamins, which are often lacking in a plant based diet, so this is a great way to harness them with out taking lots of supplements. The pasta I use is brown rice pasta, which is completely gluten & wheat free, made from 100% brown rice.
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp lemon Juice
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 garlic clove
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1 red onion
- 3/4 servings brown rice pasta
- 1 large butternut squash
- Make your pasta as directed on the packet. When ready drain and add the sauce, when its piping hot stir in some parsley and scatter with toasted pine nuts if you like!
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees celcius.
- Peal and cube your squash, and chop your red onion. Place on a roasting tray, and roast for around 30 minutes, until soft.
- Add to your blender with all other ingredients and blend until smooth.