turmeric tofu & wild rice
A simple dish that had become a firm favourite during my last trip to Mumbai.
- 120 gr wild rice
- Black pepper
- 150 gr red and yellow peppers, chopped
- 80 gr broccoli, chopped
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 280 g tofu (1 block), medium to firm
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Place the tofu on a kitchen towel to soak up excess water for 5-10 minutes.
- To cook the wild rice, boil the rice and water in a pan on low heat for around 40 minutes until the rice grains are soft and cooked.
- While the rice is cooking, chop the tofu in small cubes and place in a separate pan on low heat so that they become slightly brown.
- Add the turmeric and soy sauce to the tofu after 5-10 minutes, sprinkling over all the tofu pieces, and turn the tofu so that all the sides become brown, careful not to break them. You can start the vegetable stir-fry while the tofu is still cooking.
- Place the coconut oil and onion slices in a large pan and let this cook on low heat for a few minutes before adding the chopped or grated garlic. Once cooked, add the peppers and broccoli and stir.Let this cook for 7-10 minutes before adding the cooked rice.
- You can now stir in the soy sauce and add the tofu. Serve with a slice of lime and a sprinkle of coriander and black pepper.