Sugar snap, chickpea & cauli rice biryani
A lighter take on a traditional Indian biryani, using cauliflower rice lightly fried with fragrant curry leaves and cardamom seeds, and served with crisp sugar snap peas, aubergine, red pepper and a sprinkling of toasted cashews.
- 240 g chickpeas
- 200 g cauli rice
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 aubergine
- 1 red pepper
- 100 g sugar snap peas
- 6 dried curry leaves
- 6 cardamom pods
- 40 g cashew nuts
- Boil a kettle. Dissolve the stock cube in a jug of 200ml boiling water.
- Cut the aubergine into 2cm pieces. Finely slice the red pepper and trim the sugar snap peas. Remove the cardamom seeds from the pods, lightly bruise the seeds with a rolling pin (or use a pestle and mortar) and discard the green shells.
- In a large pan, heat 1 tbsp oil on a medium heat and add the cardamom seeds, curry leaves and curry powder for 1 min.
- Then add the aubergine and and cook for 5 mins, then add the red pepper and sugar snap peas and cook for a further 3 mins.
- Drain the chickpeas. Add the chickpeas, cauli rice and vegetable stock to the pan and cook for a further 8-10 mins or until the liquid has been absorbed. Season with black pepper.
- Meanwhile, heat a small frying pan on a medium-high heat and dry fry the cashew nuts for 3-5 mins until toasted.
- Serve the vegetable biryani in two warm bowls and top with the toasted cashew nuts.