Spice gammon with fennel, radish & apple quinoa
Juicy gammon steak with a fragrant coriander seed & fennel seed crust, served with a crispy apple, fennel & radish quinoa and roasted green beans.
- 300 g organic gammon
- 80 g quinoa
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 fennel head
- 1 apple
- 70 g radishes
- 80 g green beans
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 200C / gas mark 6 and boil a kettle. Rinse the quinoa and place in a saucepan with 300ml boiling water and a pinch of sea salt. Simmer for 15 mins then drain.
- Meanwhile, trim the green beans. Preheat a dry frying pan on a medium-high heat and toast the fennel seeds and coriander seeds for 3 mins until turning golden. Remove from the pan and roughly crush with a rolling pin or in a pestle & mortar.
- In a bowl, mix the crushed seeds with 1 tbsp oil, a pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Place the gammon steaks in the bowl and stir to coat. Heat the same frying pan on a medium heat and add cook the gammon for 3-4 mins on each side, until turning golden.
- Place the gammon steaks on a baking tray, alongside the green beans and roast in the oven for 10-15 mins, until the gammon is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, very finely slice the fennel, and cut the radishes and the apple into matchsticks (removing the core of the apple).
- In a bowl, mix together the dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar and 1 tsp olive oil. Add the quinoa, fennel, radish and apple to the bowl and stir well.
- Serve the spice crusted gammon steaks on two warm plates, alongside the roasted green beans and the fennel, radish & apple quinoa.