Smoked mackerel, beetroot, buckwheat & horseradish
Flaked Cornish smoked mackerel, sweet roasted beetroot & green beans with a fresh horseradish dressing, packed with potassium to help lower blood pressure.
- 200 g smoked mackerel
- 300 g beetroot
- 80 g buckwheat
- 100 g green beans
- 1 lemon
- 4 cm horseradish
- 40 g rocket
- 5 g fresh chives
- Preheat the oven to 200C / gas mark 6 and boil a kettle.
- Peel and cut the beetroot into 0.5cm thick slices and cut each slice into quarters. Trim the green beans and slice in half. Place the beetroot on a baking tray with 1 tsp oil in the oven for 15 mins. After 5 mins of cooking time, add the green beans to the same baking tray with 1 tsp oil and place the baking tray back into the oven for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, rinse the buckwheat and place in a saucepan with 400ml boiling water and a pinch of sea salt. Simmer for 15 mins, then drain.
- To make the horseradish dressing; peel the horseradish and grate into a bowl (add as much horseradish as desired). Add 1/2 tbsp oil and half of the juice from the lemon. Season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Finely chop the chives. Remove the skin and flake apart the mackerel into small pieces.
- In a bowl, mix together the cooked buckwheat, roasted beetroot, green beans and rocket. Stir through the horseradish dressing.
- To serve, place the buckwheat on two plates and top with the flaked smoked mackerel. Sprinkle over the chopped chives and drizzle over the remaining lemon juice.