Pesto baked chicken with carrot mash & tenderstem
We've just entered wild garlic season and we couldn't wait to use it to make our own homemade pesto, mixed with a little olive oil and pine nuts... We coat chicken with this delicious wild garlic pesto and serve it on a bed of carrot mash, a lighter alternative to potato mash!
- 180 g free-range chicken breast
- 20 g wild garlic
- 30 g pine nuts (nuts)
- 400 g carrots
- 160 g cherry tomatoes
- 200 g tenderstem
- 1/2 lemon
- Sea salt & black pepperCoconut oil / olive oil
- Coconut oil / olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200C and boil a kettle.
- To make the wild garlic pesto; finely chop the wild garlic and half of the pine nuts. Place in a bowl and mix in 1 tbsp olive oil, and the lemon juice. Season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Place the chicken breasts into an ovenproof dish, and cover with a layer of the wild garlic pesto. Place in the oven for 25 mins or until cooked through.
- Peel and chop the carrot into 1cm pieces and place in a saucepan. Cover with boiling water and simmer for 20 mins until soft.
- Trim the tenderstem. Place the tenderstem, tomatoes and remaining pine nuts on a baking tray, drizzle over 1/2 tbsp oil and place in the oven for 10 mins.
- Drain the carrots and mash with a potato masher. Season with sea salt and black pepper.
- To serve, spoon the carrot mash onto a plate. Cut the wild garlic pesto chicken breast into slices. Place the sliced chicken on top of the carrot mash and serve alongside the tenderstem, tomatoes and pine nuts.