Miso maple aubergine kebabs, red rice & edamame
These rich, sweet, chargrilled miso & maple aubergine kebabs are served with edamame studded red rice. Red rice is a great source of fibre and iron, which owes its red colour to anthocyanin, a powerful antioxidant.
- 210 g edamame beans (drained) (soya)
- 100 g red rice
- 1 aubergine
- 2 tbsp sweet miso paste (soya)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp tamari (soya)
- 1 pak choi
- 1 red pepper
- 4 cm fresh ginger
- 4 skewers
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Coconut oil / olive oil
- Rinse the red rice and add to a saucepan of 400ml water with a pinch of sea salt. Simmer for 25-30 mins until cooked.
- Meanwhile, dice the red pepper and peel and finely chop the ginger. Drain the edamame beans. Slice the end off the pak choi.
- Slice the ends off the aubergine and cut into 2-3 cm cubes. Thread 4 pieces on each skewer.
- In a bowl, mix together the sweet miso paste, maple syrup and 1 tbsp oil. Heat a griddle pan (or BBQ) on a medium-high heat. Add the skewers and cook for 10 mins, turning every 2-3 mins. Then drizzle over half of the miso maple sauce and cook for a further 3 mins. Remove from the pan (or BBQ) and keep warm.
- Drizzle 1 tsp oil over the pak choi and add to the same griddle pan (or BBQ) on a medium heat and cook for 3-5 mins until softened.
- Meanwhile, in a medium-sized pan, heat 1 tsp oil on a medium heat and cook the ginger, edamame beans and red pepper for 5 mins, then stir in the red rice and tamari and remove from the heat.
- Spoon the edamame red rice onto two warm plates, then top with 2 aubergine kebabs, drizzle over the remaining miso maple sauce and serve alongside the pak choi.