Lentil & sweet potato dahl with cauliflower rice
Spiced red split lentil, tomato & sweet potato dahl made with fragrant garam masala, and served with cauliflower rice & flaked almonds.
- 80 g red split lentils
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 tomatoes
- 160 g sweet potato
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 red onion
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 200 g cauli rice
- 10 g flaked almonds (nuts)
- handful parsley
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Coconut oil / olive oil
- Peel and finely chop the garlic and onion. Roughly chop the tomatoes. Peel and chop the sweet potato into 1cm cubes.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a medium-sized pan and add the onion and garlic for 5 mins until softened, then stir in half of the garam masala.
- Rinse the lentils in cold water. Add the lentils and sweet potato to the pan with the onions and stir for a further minute until coated with the spice. Season and add the coconut milk, tomatoes and 150ml of cold water. Leave to simmer for 15-20 mins, adding more water if the lentils become too dry.
- Heat a dry frying pan and toast the flaked almonds for 2-3 mins until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- Heat a saucepan on a gentle heat, add 1 tsp oil and add the cauli rice and garam masala to the pan with 1 tbsp water and cook for 5 mins. Season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Then stir the toasted flaked almonds and most of the parsley leaves through the rice and season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Serve the cauliflower and almond rice in a bowl and top with the lentil and sweet potato dahl. Garnish with the remaining parsley leaves.