Lemon & thyme chicken thighs, carrots & buckwheat
Baked lemon and thyme chicken thighs, with roasted baby carrots & spring greens, full of vitamin K for bone strength.
- 340 g free-range chicken thighs (skinless & boneless)
- 200 g baby carrots
- 200 g spring greens
- 80 g buckwheat
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 lemons
- handful thyme
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Coconut oil / olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200C/gas mark 6 and boil a kettle. Cut one lemon into slices, peel and cut the garlic cloves in half, trim the carrots and slice in half lengthways.
- Season the chicken thighs. Heat a frying pan with 1 tsp oil on a medium-high heat and brown the chicken for 2-3 mins on both sides. Add the garlic cloves to the pan to brown for the last 2 mins.
- In a bowl, mix the mustard with half of the juice from the remaining lemon and 1/2 tbsp oil.
- Place the chicken in an oven-proof dish with the carrots and garlic, pour over the lemon mustard sauce and place 1 or 2 lemon slices on each chicken thigh. Scatter over the thyme leaves. Place in the oven for 10-15 mins until the chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, rinse the buckwheat and place in a saucepan with 400ml boiling water, and simmer for 10-15 mins. Then drain and stir in the remaining lemon juice and season.
- Boil a kettle. Thinly slice the spring greens. Place in a saucepan and cover with boiling water, simmer for 3-4 mins.
- Spoon the lemon buckwheat onto a plate and top with the chicken thighs and the juices from the pan. Serve alongside the carrots, roasted garlic and spring greens.